|Full Listing:||Position Title:||Religious Denomination:||City/Town:||State:||Salary:|
|full listing||Part-Time Choral Director/Organist||United Methodist||Worcester||MA||negotiable|
|full listing||Choir Director/Organist||UCC||Worcester||MA||$6K with vacation pay|
|full listing||Interim Minister of Music||Episcopal||Holden||MA||—|
|full listing||Church Organist / Musician||United Methodist||Natick||MA||TBD|
|full listing||Tenor Section Leader||Episcopal||Newton||MA||TBD|
|full listing||Music Director/Organist||Unitarian Universalist||Westborough||MA||$150 – 175 per week|
Kevin Murphy, Jobs Postings Editor
- Contact your local area chapter(s) to get your opening listed. Most publish openings online. In cases of a large church position, an ad is placed in the national Guild magazine, The American Organist.
- Select your hiring advisory committee carefully, with a wide range of perspectives and skills. Many of the members should be musically conversant and able to judge musical performance and conducting.
- Determine your church music ministry mission, scope, needs, job description, salary ranges, etc.
- Determine your interviewing process, including thorough auditions and discussion interviews.
- We recommend that you list your openings not only with Worcester, but also other local chapters: (click on chapter name below to view their listings)
- Organists/directors are very much interested in the size/number/capabilities of the choirs, details about the instruments (organ/piano/handbells/percussion/etc.), number of weekly and extra services, and working relationships with ministers and staff.
Lad Pfiefer, Dean
Becky Isaacson, Placement Coordinator (Phone: 413-567-7659)
No current information available.
The National AGO site offers substitute listing to address the need for interim organists:
(LAST UPDATED 02/01/2016)
QUMC is centered in Christ, dedicated to people, willing to serve, and eager to grow. Together we seek to provide Christ-centered worship, Christian education to children, youth and adults, warm Christian fellowship and loving service to the community. Quinsigamond United Methodist Church is looking for a choral director/organist. The church has a congregation consisting of members of Scandinavian heritage, African cultures, and other backgrounds. The church has a small adult choir. Occasionally the Liberian youth sing a capella. The choral director/organist is responsible for the adult choir and for providing music on an Allen digital computer organ and a Wurlitzer baby grand piano. Someone with enthusiasm would be welcome to expand the musical opportunities. Salary will be discussed during the interview. The church is located in the Quinsigamond Village section of Worcester, MA, off Blackstone River Road, near routes 290, 146, 20, and the Massachusetts Turnpike.
Posted: 10/19/15 09:40 PM KFM
Expires: 02/19/16 09:40 PM
Hammond Organ in chapel. Responsibilities and Brief Description: 10:30AM weekly worship service. There is no choir. Special services include: Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday. Salary: $65 per week. Select and play prelude, 4 hymns, offertory, and postlude for worship service. The pastor selects the hymns. There is additional income from weddings and funerals. Time off is negotiable. Contact: Send resume to: Jean Breidenbach at: 508-752-7613 email to: email@example.com. Or mail to: 911 Main St. Worcester MA 01610.
Posted: 07/13/15 10:39 PM KFM
Expires: 10/13/15 10:39 PM
First Congregational Church, Woodstock (1781), is seeking a qualified organist to play the 35-rank Austin Organ (1967) for Sunday morning and evening services beginning in the fall. This is the historic church of Marsh, Billings and Rockefeller with a large, thriving congregation from throughout Vermont. The Sunday worship is traditional. The music ministry potential is great for the right person with the proper experience, qualifications and a strong Christian commitment which is in agreement with Reformed Theology. Salary is negotiable based on experience and agreed music ministry responsibilities. The church possesses a three-octave set of Schulmerich hand bells. Applications are now being accepted. Resumes should be sent to David Searles at firstname.lastname@example.org. Telephone: 802-457-2354.
Posted: 07/22/15 10:34 PM KFM
Expires: 10/22/15 10:34 PM
Park Congregational Church UCC is seeking an Organist/Choir Director. We worship at Davis Chapel located at First Baptist Church, 111 Park Avenue in Worcester. Organ: 2 manual 15 rank J. W. Walker tracker organ. Responsibilities: up to 3 hours per week. 10AM worship with small but dedicated adult choir. Choir meets at 9AM prior to worship service from September thru June. Play for special services of worship including Blue Christmas, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday. Select organ/choral music for worship, hymns selected by pastor. Occasional work with Sunday School children during worship.
Posted: 07/22/15 10:55 PM KFM
Expires: 10/22/15 10:55 PM
General Summary of the Position: The Interim Minister of Music will work under the direction of the rector to provide and select appropriate organ, piano and choral music for regularly scheduled Sunday services and Holy Days, including Thanksgiving, Christmas, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, Easter, Confirmation, and shall be responsible for the weekly rehearsing and directing of the choir. The term of the Interim Minister of Music shall be ___, and extended as will be mutually agreeable, until such time as the successful candidate for the Minister of Music is determined. This agreement may be dissolved by mutual consent or upon 60 days notice by either party. This position is a 10-12 hour per week position.
1. Ability to lead and share in worship by:
– Playing a variety of traditional and contemporary organ and/or keyboard music
– Rehearsing and directing the adult choir for the Sunday service at 10:00 a.m.
– Meet with and provide administrative help for the Saturday Music Team
– Rehearse with soloists; small groups, and instrumentalists as needed
– Provide music, as needed, for special services, funerals, and weddings.
Compensation for these events is additional and according to AGO standards.
2. Planning and Administration
– Meet regularly with rector and/or associate rector and staff, and others as necessary for the general — planning and leadership of the music program Coordinate with Church School Director and Handbell — Choir Director for special musical offerings
– Coordinate instrument maintenance
– Arrange for supply organists when necessary
– Be responsible for the purchase of all music and music supplies and the hiring of instrumentalists and vocal soloists
– Maintain music budget
– Organize and maintain the music library, ordering of new music, and copyright licenses
– Prepare an annual report
– Work with the members of the Music Ministry to care for and pray for each other
in times of need and build a sense of community and fellowship among members
– Encourage and support members of the Music Ministry and the parish in their spiritual growth
– Recruit new members for the Music Ministry
– Offer musical training opportunities as needed
– Create opportunities for children to participate in the music program
– Encourage congregational participation in the service music
– Participate in opportunities for continuing education which will enrich the music program
– Bachelor of Music or equivalent with organ and piano performance ability and choral conducting skills
– Knowledge of Episcopal liturgy and music
– Enthusiastic, friendly and enjoys working with amateur as well as professional musicians Ability to connect and work with people of all ages
– Good organizational skills
– Creative: willingness to try new things while respecting tradition
– Willingness to be part of a team, lay and ordained, to do the work God gives us to do
Posted: 09/15/15 10:36 AM KFM
Expires: 12/15/15 10:36 AM
Fisk Methodist Church in Natick, MA has an immediate opening for a part-time Church Organist / Musician to provide music during our Sunday morning worship services. We are looking for someone to play on our Rodgers electronic organ, our grand piano, and electronic keyboard. We also need occasional accompanying of vocalists, a Praise Team and children during the worship service. The responsibilities include a small number of special services such as Christmas Eve. We are looking for someone who will bring a positive energy to our church thru their music and collaborate with our Pastor and Worship Committee to provide an uplifting worship experience. A 12-month or 10-month year (summers off) contract is available. If you are interested in this position, either as a permanent position or as a temporary interim, please contact the head of our search group, Tom Currie .
Posted: 11/14/15 09:10 AM KFM
Expires: 02/14/15 09:10 AM
Grace Episcopal Church, Newton seeks a tenor section leader. We are a parish choir of 10-12 singers, with four paid section leaders. Music is a highly valued component of our worship and community life at Grace Church. Our choir is committed to excellence, while also being inclusive and supportive of amateur singers. Our repertoire primarily consists of traditional sacred music. The choral season at Grace runs from the week after Labor Day until late June.
1) Thursday rehearsals 7:00-8:30 pm
2) Sunday Eucharist throughout the choral season, from 8:30 am to noon
3) Availability for Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, Easter, and other major services
4) Availability for quarterly Anglican choral evensong or special choir events throughout the year, usually taking place on a Sunday at 4:00 pm.
The tenor section leader should be well-trained not only as a vocalist, but as a choral singer. He should be an apt sight-singer with a command of diction and breathing. Additionally, he should be a cordial and cooperative individual.
Application Instructions and Questions
Please send a resume and introduction to: Heather Kirkconnell, Interim Director of Music
Grace Episcopal Church Newton, MA www.gracenewton.org
Posted: 11/14/15 09:49 AM KFM
Expires: 02/14/16 09:49 AM
Seeking a Music Director to support the mission of this vibrant congregation coordinating the music program from mid-September thru mid-June. The Music Director will work with the Music Committee, the minister, and church staff to provide interesting and varied music of high quality that generally supports the worship themes of Sunday services. The candidate must be an accomplished organist and pianist able to play a variety of styles of music as well as being an experienced choral director. Current position is 5-8 hours per week, for 40-43 weeks a year but potential for growth and expansion of the program exists with the right candidate. Instruments are an 1895 George H. Ryder tracker pipe organ and a 1916 Chickering grand piano. The choir performs 3-4 times a month. There are occasional special music programs. The position opens January 2016. Compensation is according to the experience of the candidate and the guidelines of the Unitarian Universalist Association. Please email resumé with covering letter to email@example.com or mail to the above address.
5-8 hours per week/43 weeks per year
Posted: 12/20/15 09:46 PM KFM
Expires: 03/20/16 09:46 PM