|Full Listing:||Position Title:||Religious Denomination:||City/Town:||State:||Salary:|
|full listing||Music Director/Organist/Choir Director||UCC||Littleton||MA||commensurate with qualifications and experience|
|full listing||Music Director||Unitarian Universalist||Newburyport||MA||Salary and benefits are competitive, commensurate with experience, and compatible with AGO and UUMN recommendations.|
|full listing||Director of Music||Baptist||Hartford||CT||$15,000 – $20,000|
|full listing||Music Director/Organist||Episcopal||Ayer||MA||$15K – $18K per year|
|full listing||Organist/Pianist||United Church of Christ||Holden||MA||10K|
|full listing||Music Director/Organist||United Church of Christ||Boylston||MA||14K|
|full listing||Minister of Music (part-time position)||Episcopal||Holden||MA||—|
|full listing||Part-time Music Director/Organist||UCC||Andover||MA||TBD|
|full listing||Director of Music||UCC||Weymouth||MA||Commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience.|
|full listing||Choir Direcotr||Greek Orthodox||Worcester||MA||Negotiable|
Worcester & Central Massachusetts:
Kevin Murphy, Jobs Postings Editor
- Contact your local area chapter(s) to get your opening listed. Most publish openings online. In cases of a large church position, an ad is placed in the national Guild magazine, The American Organist.
- Select your hiring advisory committee carefully, with a wide range of perspectives and skills. Many of the members should be musically conversant and able to judge musical performance and conducting.
- Determine your church music ministry mission, scope, needs, job description, salary ranges, etc.
- Determine your interviewing process, including thorough auditions and discussion interviews.
- We recommend that you list your openings not only with Worcester, but also other local chapters: (click on chapter name below to view their listings)
- Organists/directors are very much interested in the size/number/capabilities of the choirs, details about the instruments (organ/piano/handbells/percussion/etc.), number of weekly and extra services, and working relationships with ministers and staff.
Lad Pfiefer, Dean
Becky Isaacson, Placement Coordinator (Phone: 413-567-7659)
No current information available.
The National AGO site offers substitute listing to address the need for interim organists:
CURRENT WORCESTER-AREA LISTINGS
(LAST UPDATED 06/21/2016)
Woodstock, VT 05091
First Congregational Church, Woodstock (1781), is seeking a qualified organist to play the 35-rank Austin Organ (1967) for Sunday morning and evening services beginning in the fall. This is the historic church of Marsh, Billings and Rockefeller with a large, thriving congregation from throughout Vermont. The Sunday worship is traditional. The music ministry potential is great for the right person with the proper experience, qualifications and a strong Christian commitment which is in agreement with Reformed Theology. Salary is negotiable based on experience and agreed music ministry responsibilities. The church possesses a three-octave set of Schulmerich hand bells. Applications are now being accepted. Resumes should be sent to David Searles at email@example.com. Telephone: 802-457-2354.
Posted: 07/22/15 10:34 PM KFM
Expires: 08/22/16 10:34 PM
Littleton, MA 01460 1253
We are a loving, growing and active congregation with an average attendance of 110 worshipers in our newly renovated, open and welcoming church. Please visit our website www.ccol.org to see more about the church, or the Facebook page “Congregational Church of Littleton, UCC” to get a picture of our wonderful community of faith. We seek a permanent, part-time opening available for leader of a vibrant music program for all ages. Responsibilities include but are not limited to selecting and directing inspiring organ, choir and solo music central to experiencing Sunday worship service in coordination with the Ministers, Director of Christian Education, and Handbell Director. This person will rehearse the Adult and Children’s Choirs once per week and participate in Sunday service(s), direct and participate in additional musical events (i.e., holiday, ecumenical, Vacation Bible school), and provide oversight of all other pianists, soloists and volunteer musicians involved in worship except the handbell choirs. Working with the Music Committee, this position reports to the Senior Minister for all necessary administrative duties relative to the worship activities. The successful candidate will be a knowledgeable choral director and experienced organist and pianist who values a diverse selection of music. Strong organizational/communication skills and experience working with children are a must. We are looking for an enthusiastic, imaginative, multi-tasker who works collaboratively with people of varying levels of ability and experience. If you are looking to lead and grow a dynamic program, this is the opportunity for you.
Instruments: A well maintained Organ–Hook & Hastings built in 1900 (Opus 1857), rebuilt by Andover Organ Co., 1993 (2 manual/12 rank tracker organ)
Piano—Yamaha Model U2 upright piano
Hours: 20 to 25 per week, position available as of July 1, 2016 (will accept applications until position is filled) Please provide 3 references with resume and cover letter. CCOL is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Posted: 03/09/16 11:41 AM KFM
Expires: 06/09/16 11:41 AM
Newburyport, MA 01950
Deadline: Applications accepted until April 15, 2106. Music at the First Religious Society is an essential aspect of our spiritual life. Enriched by many active musicians within the congregation, our music program helps to deepen our spirituality, maintains high musical quality, and supports and nurtures people of all musical ability. As a highly visible performance space in this historic town, the church considers its music program to be an important outreach to the community. The Music Director of this active church community serves as organist and director of the adult choir, and is accountable for all aspects of the music program. This is a half-time 12-month position beginning July 1, 2016, with most of the work during the church year (no summer services). The Music Director is expected to enhance the youth and adult music offerings, increase the diversity of musical expression, and reach out to the larger community.
• Administer all aspects of the music program
• Perform prelude and postlude in most Sunday services
• Rehearse, direct and accompany the regular Sunday adult choir (c. 25 members) as well as
the larger Candlelight Chorale, which sings at a special Christmas service and gives two
additional concerts per year
• Collaborate with the Youth Music Director, the lay-led Jazz Vespers and concert committees,
church staff, lay leaders, and active musicians of all ages within the church
• Attend relevant committee and staff meetings
• Advanced degree in organ, choral conducting or church music field
• 5+ years directing a church music program
• Excellent organ and piano performance skills
• Strong choral conducting skills and knowledge of best practices with amateur groups • Strong sight-reading skills
• Experience with and interest in diverse musical styles
Core competencies – skills and personal attributes needed
The ideal candidate is a stellar musician who understands this position requires flexibility, excellent people skills, compassion, and an ability to consider diverse opinions.
He or she will have:
• professional training and experience in both organ performance and choral directing • experience in leading a music program and maintaining a choral library
• extensive background in conducting skilled amateur groups
• an active performing life on the organ
• experience in guiding amateur singers and a sensitivity to their needs
• good time management and arts administration skills
• the ability to collaborate effectively with church professionals and lay leaders
• an understanding of the basic principles of Unitarian Universalist theology
• an interest in church culture and community dynamics
• an ability to align the music program with worship and other ministries
Working conditions and physical requirements
The church has an excellent 2-manual organ with a combination stop action, including both manual draw stops and a multi-level, programmable electronic action. The instrument has important historic roots in the early 19th century, with a major expansion by Hutchings in 1889, renovation by CB Fisk/Andover in 1957 and a full renovation and expansion by A. David Moore in 2012. It now stands as one of the finest in the area, offering the player a rich variety of stops and the ability to support a wide range of the organ literature. Facilities include 2 Steinway pianos, an extensive and eclectic choral music library, and a dedicated office and rehearsal room.
Salary and benefits are competitive, commensurate with experience, and compatible with AGO and UUMN recommendations. The only physical requirement is the ability to climb stairs, as the organ and choir rehearsal room are on the second floor with no elevator.
The First Religious Society Unitarian Universalist is an Equal Opportunity Employer. FRSUU is a friendly and active liberal congregation with many programs and a strong musical tradition. Learn more about us on our website, www.frsuu.org. To apply, send a cover letter and resume (including relevant teaching experience and size of choirs directed), as well as names and contact information for 3 professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic submissions are preferred. Deadline: Applications accepted until April 15, 2106. If electronic submission is not possible, mail hard copy to the church address.
Posted: 03/09/16 11:56 AM KFM
Expires: 06/09/16 11:56 AM
Services: 1 Sunday Service
Choir: 1 Adult, 1 Bell, and 1 Youth
Instrument: 5000 Pipe 4 Manual Austin Organ
Central Baptist Church is seeking a Director of Music – a professional music leader who will build and sustain a dynamic music ministry that reflects the diversity and vitality of the Central Baptist congregation. The Director of Music will provide organ and/or piano music at regular and special worship services and at weddings and funerals, as requested. He/she will direct the presently established choirs and ensembles – Sanctuary Choir, Youth Choir and Youth Bell Choir. He/she may direct newly-formed or special music groups or events, as interest dictates. The Director of Music should have leadership experience in choral and instrumental music and familiarity and appreciation of a wide scope of music and faith expressions, and will use music to communicate the Christian message. The ability to work with people of various ethnic backgrounds, ability to work with the church staff in a team ministry and flexibility in attitude and spirit are essential qualifications. Candidates with degree in organ, sacred music or service-playing certificate preferred. Position is subject to background check.
Posted: 05/01/16 07:10 AM KFM
Expires: 08/01/16 07:10 AM
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, Ayer, MA, seeks ¼ time Organist/Choir director to start fall 2016. We are a growing church with a small but strong choir. Worship is mostly traditional, using 1980 Hymnal and all supplements. Services include one choral anthem weekly, hymns, and service music. Quarterly “Intergenerational” services that include children provide an opportunity for inclusion of Gospel/ contemporary style music. Estey Organ – OPUS 1423 – Rebuilt 2002, Andover Organ; Baby Grand piano. Responsibilities include providing music for all Sunday and Holy Day services and directing one Adult Choir (rehearsals 1 ½ hours on a weeknight and 1 hour before the service on Sunday). Energy and flexibility are strongly desired qualities. Enthusiasm for the liturgy and planning worship in collaboration with the clergy especially desired. A fund exists to help provide new music, and pay for soloists and Instrumentalists on special occasions Pay in accordance with AGO standards, between $15K – $18K per year depending on qualifications and experience. Opportunities for additional income through weddings and funerals. One month paid summer vacation, continuing Ed. Very convenient to Fitchburg- Boston commuter line. Thirty minutes from Worcester, one hour from Boston.
Send cover letter and resume.
Posted: 05/01/16 05:30 PM KFM
Expires: 08/01/16 05:30 PM
Organ: A 1923 Casavant electro-pneumatic pipe organ (Opus #996). Augmented in 1958 and renovated in 2014 by Casavant Freres. Two manuals, pedal organ, 22 ranks with a restored Casavant draw-knob console. There is a Kawai grand piano in the sanctuary.
Responsibilities and Brief Description: 4-5 hours weekly, which includes a 10:00AM Sunday worship service with the adult choir. Choir rehearsal is Thursday 7:00PM-8:30PM. Play for Sunday as well as special services including but not limited to: Thanksgiving Eve, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, and Maundy Thursday. Select and play preludes, offertories, and postludes for worship services. Hymns are selected by the Pastor. Occasionally accompany the Children’s Choir.
Salary: Up to $10,000 depending on experience, education, and skill level. Additional income is available from weddings and funerals. Choir direction experience is a plus.
Benefits: Four weeks paid vacation during the summer, plus 3 paid personal days. Additional time off is negotiable.
Posted: 05/22/16 09:30 PM KFM
Expires: 08/22/16 09:30 PM
First Congregational Church of Boylston, Massachusetts is currently seeking an Organist/Music Director for a small congregation that has one adult choir and one handbell choir. The organ is a rebuilt Moeller pipe organ. The job is approximately 8 hours per week and the annual salary for this position is to be negotiated in the range of $14,000 based on previous experience.
The job includes:
One church service per week
Special services: Christmas Eve (2), Maundy Thursday, Easter (2), Thanksgiving Eve
Weddings and Funerals (additional fee per service as needed)
Summer Vacation Sundays to be negotiated
The job requirements:
Play at Sunday services: prelude, postlude, hymns, and liturgies
Select music for and direct Choir (including 1hr Sunday AM rehearsal)
Select music for and direct Bell Choir (including 1hr mid-week rehearsal)
Meet weekly with Pastor to coordinate music for Sunday services
Please forward resume to email@example.com if interested in the position.
Posted: 05/24/16 10:33 AM KFM
Expires: 08/24/16 10:33 AM
General Summary of the Position: The Minister of Music will work under the direction of the Rector to provide and select appropriate organ, piano and choral music for regularly scheduled Sunday services and Holy Days, including Thanksgiving, Christmas, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, Easter, Confirmation, and shall be responsible for the weekly rehearsing and directing of the choir. The Minister of Music is a part-time position, with the allotted hours of 10-12 hours per week on average. The Minister of Music is a regular staff position and the employment agreement may be dissolved by mutual consent or upon 90 days notice by either party.
1. Ability to lead and share in worship by
• Playing a variety of traditional and contemporary organ and/or keyboard music
• Rehearsing and directing the adult choir for the Sunday service at 10:00 a.m. Choir rehearsals are currently held on Sunday mornings.
• Meet with and provide administrative help for the Saturday Music Team
• Rehearse with soloists; small groups, and instrumentalists as needed
• Provide music, as needed, for special services (not outlined above), funerals, and weddings. Compensation for these events is additional and according to AGO standards.
2. Planning and Administration
• Meet regularly with the Rector and staff, and others as necessary for the general planning and leadership of the music program
• Coordinate with Church School Director and Handbell Choir Director for special musical offerings
• Coordinate instrument maintenance
• Arrange for supply organists when necessary
• Be responsible for the purchase of all music and music supplies and the hiring of instrumentalists and vocal soloists
• Maintain music budget
• Organize and maintain the music library, ordering of new music, and copyright licenses
* Prepare an annual report
• Work with the members of the Music Ministry to care for and pray for each other in times of need and build a sense of community and fellowship among members
• Encourage and support members of the Music Ministry and the parish in their spiritual growth
• Recruit new members for the Music Ministry
• Offer musical training opportunities as needed
• Create opportunities for children to participate in the music program
• Encourage congregational participation in the service music
• Participate in opportunities for continuing education which will enrich the music program
• Bachelor of Music or equivalent with organ and piano performance ability and choral conducting skills
• Knowledge of Episcopal liturgy and music
• Enthusiastic, friendly and enjoys working with amateur as well as professional musicians
• Ability to connect and work with people of all ages
• Good organizational skills
• Creative: willingness to try new things while respecting tradition
• Willingness to be part of a team, lay and ordained, to do the work God gives us to do
Posted: 05/24/16 11:47 AM KFM
Expires: 08/24/16 11:47 AM
South Church in Andover is a vibrant and diverse congregation with nearly 700 members and a strong tradition of choral and instrumental music. We are seeking a gifted and experienced musician to lead our growing music program. The ideal candidate will have a passion for creatively leading worship with Adult, Children’s, and Handbell Choirs; and draw on the talents of the many musicians and instrumentalists in our congregation. The candidate will demonstrate the experience and vision to take our music ministry to the next level. The position is part-time salaried, with variable hours based on the Church’s religious and secular calendars and special events.
• Report to Senior Pastor to design and develop music for weekly worship services, as well as ?church-related activities such as weddings and funerals.
• Participate in pastoral staff meetings and fulfill other responsibilities as assigned by Senior Pastor.
• Build, lead, and direct the Sanctuary Choir. Select music, conduct weekly rehearsals, and conduct the Choir for all services including Easter (2 services), Christmas Eve (3 services) and Maundy Thursday.
• Direct the Children’s Choir, Handbell Choir, and various small music ensembles.
• Attract an increasing pool of gifted musicians who desire to be involved in worship – to include contemporary music, instrumentalists, and solo musicians.
• Prepare and administer the annual music budget.
• Maintain the music library, which includes over 800 choral and 75 handbell anthems.
• Oversee the maintenance of our Bozeman Organ (tracker, 3 manuals, 36 stops), 8 pianos, and 4-octave Schulmerich hand bells.
• Strong keyboard skills; organ and piano.
• Accomplished directing and leadership skills.
• Excellent people, leadership, and organizational skills with a proven record of working well within a team.
• An engaging and gracious personality.
• Ability to work joyfully and energetically with members of the South Church community.
• Commitment to the mission and vision of South Church.
• A degree in music, worship, or a related field is preferred. Three or more years of experience as a worship leader in a church of 300 or more is also preferred but not required.
• Physical requirements include the ability to climb stairs to the choir loft, to stand for long periods of time directing children and adults, and to carry instruments and music.
• Salary and benefits are competitive, commensurate with experience, and compatible with AGO recommendations.
• Additional income from weddings, funerals, and memorial services.
• Use of South Church facilities, including organ and piano, for private instruction.
South Church in Andover
Attn: Music Search Committee
41 Central Street
Andover, MA 01810
South Church in Andover is an open and affirming congregation located in Andover, Massachusetts. South Church welcomes all people, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race and ethnicity, physical and mental ability or economic circumstance.
Posted: 05/24/16 12:00 PM KFM
Expires: 08/24/16 12:00 PM
Our church is affiliated with the United Church of Christ and the Unitarian Universalist Association. The Community Church of Pepperell is located at Three Townsend Street in the old center of Pepperell, Massachusetts. Position: Part Time Organist/Accompanist to support one weekly choir
rehearsal and Sunday service, special church services; occasional accompaniment for soloists, guest musicians, and music events.
Hours: Sunday Morning 9:00 to 11:00, Wednesday 7:30PM to 9:00 PM
Estimated Average Hours per Month: 15
Monthly Salary: $475/Month
Vacation: 4 Weeks (Normally Month of July, with substitution any time)
Weddings & Funerals: $150 Extra
The Hook and Hastings pipe organ, which has been recently renovated to preserve its antiquity status in our community, rises majestically in the chancel with 629 pipes still in use today. The Chickering Concert Grande Piano was completely rebuilt, including replacement of the soundboard.
• Candidate must demonstrate knowledge of Christian musical traditions.
• Under the direction of the Choir Director, play the organ and/or piano for regularly scheduled worship services including a prelude/postlude, hymns, choral accompaniments and incidental music as requested. (Sunday 9:00 to 11:00AM)
• Play the organ and/or piano at regularly scheduled choir rehearsals and at special rehearsals, with adequate prior notice by the Choir Director, in support of usual or special worship events. (Normally Wed Evenings at 7:00 PM)
• Play the organ and/or piano for special worship events, including Christmas Eve and Maundy Thursday, as mutually agreed upon with the Choir Director and ministerial staff.
• Recommend preludes, postludes, or hymns as requested by the Choir Director or Pastor.
• Play (or oversee the use of) the organ and other church instruments for weddings and funerals held in the church.
• Oversee care and maintenance of the organ and other church instruments within budgetary limits.
• Recommend substitute and guest musicians to the Choir Director as appropriate when arranging vacation.
Posted: 06/01/16 04:00 PM KFM
Expires: 09/01/16 04:00 PM
The Old South Union Congregational Church, of Weymouth, Mass., is seeking a part-time Director of Music (10–12 hours per week) to oversee organ and choral music for worship services and special occasions. Old South is a large, vibrant and growing church on the South Shore with a history of exceptional organ and choir music of many styles and is seeking a candidate with prior experience as Music Director. The candidate should have knowledge of choral and organ literature, and the ability to play the organ and piano at an advanced level. The senior choir numbers 20-30 and the instrument is an Austin organ, Opus 2739 with 3 manuals, 31 ranks and antiphonal stops.
The primary responsibilities of this position are:? 1. Coordinates organ and choral music appropriate to the liturgical calendar for performance at weekly and additional services.? 2. Direct and play at weekly worship services.? 3. Coordinate and oversee rehearsals, direct and accompany the Senior Choir and summer soloists. 4. Provide leadership and support for all aspects of music at the church, including supporting the Youth Choir Director and the choir section leaders.
The salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience.
Posted: 06/21/16 04:00 PM KFM
Expires: 09/21/16 04:00 PM
The position is primarily for a choir director. Organ used only to give pitches to choir.
One service Sunday mornings. Time commitment 9:45 – 11:30 a.m.
Occasional weeknight choir rehearsal (perhaps once/month). (This occasional rehearsal can also be scheduled one hour prior to the Sunday morning 9:45 start time.) Service music for Sunday mornings is essentially the same every week, with occasional new hymn.
Extra rehearsals/preparation as needed to prepare for Holy Week. A member of the Orthodox community will be available to provide coaching/guidance for a musician who is not familiar with the Orthodox liturgy. Weddings (approx. 15 per year) are optional; they can be played by the choir director or an outside organist. Position begins September 1st.
Posted: 06/21/16 04:00 PM KFM
Expires: 06/21/16 04:00 PM